Monday, May 30, 2011

Lessons from my Flower Garden

I have become aware of a feeling that I experience at various and sometimes odd moments in my life – a feeling that may best be described as sweetness.  It may occur when I’m doing something simple or I’m having a moment of appreciation.  A subtle yet powerful feeling of active contentment, being in the now, yet somehow filled with hope that the future I long to create is being created, is working, is forthcoming.  I would like to experience this feeling a lot more frequently.  When I am in a brief moment of this sweetness, I feel trust, faith, and a distinctive knowing that I have the ability to create my soul’s desires, and I feel assured that it is actually happening.  All this is a very fleeting moment of sweetness.

During a coaching session, I was standing in front of large window that looks out into my courtyard.  My eyes scanned over the flowers, bushes, and a weeping mulberry tree that I had planted.  I thought about digging the holes, mixing potting soil with the earth, planting, watering, weeding, and tending to the garden.  The flowers were mostly in bloom, with new buds bursting open every day.  A few plants were suffering – being eaten by bugs.  At first I sprayed a few times, and then just decided to let them be.  Actually, those plants were blooming anyway, and the bugs I had tried to get rid of attracted more birds.  I was happy to see a robin nibbling at the mulberries on the tree that morning.  The little garden attracted many birds, bees, and butterflies that enjoyed the sustenance I provided them through my efforts.  These images evoked the sweetness.

The planting, tending, blooming, and then attracting beings that benefited from the garden, was like planting for a new business, or for a new or improved relationship.  The work you put into preparing and planting is part of the process for building what you want in your life.  Realize the need to trust in Divine timing that you’re sowing things that will grow and that you’ll attract the perfect clients for what you are offering.  Or you’ll attract the relationship for which you are preparing.  And remember, one of my favorite Bible passages – “you reap what you sow.”  If you neglect, criticize, or have a body of resignation such as nothing I do matters, I’ll never grow anything, then that will be your result.  If you lovingly and thoughtfully prepare the soil, handle “the plants” with care, and continually attend to what you plant, you will enjoy the benefits of the new blooms in your life.

Some plants won’t need much attention at all to flourish beautifully.  Others take a bit more water or care in order to grow.  Some things you plant are not going to make it.  Some are going to be eaten by bugs.  Some things you try to keep alive by spraying and cutting out the dead parts, when really it’s time to let them go.

I recalled a statement my Uncle Richard made frequently.  He was a bit wonderfully eccentric.  After a conversation or sometimes looking around a room surveying the lay of the land so to speak, he would say, “aahhh, yes, aahh, everything is in order.”  Plant and prepare to the best of your ability and with consistency, then let go, trusting that everything is in order and is as it should be for Divine right timing.  So notice – even the briefest moments of that sweetness – notice a feeling of trust, of faith, that waters and sustains you to continue sowing and reaping your bountiful future.

Robin Fernandez
Nature of Being