Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Which Of Your Superpowers Will You Use In The New Year?

During the holiday shopping rush, I was leaving a store and a man ahead of me continued to hold the door open for me even though I had reached to hold the door.  He said, “It’s okay – That’s one of my superpowers – opening doors.”

It struck me as a very notable ambition for the New Year! – Becoming aware of and using our Superpowers.  And since I seem to notice metaphors, (or perhaps I just create them where none exist), I wondered how many people have the superpower of opening “doors” for others – and are they actively using this great ability?  How wonderful that this young man notices and enjoys the simple and gracious act of holding open a door (for which I expressed my gratitude).

When I looked up the definition of Superpower, I found the most obvious ones first – A powerful and influential nation, especially a nuclear power; a state with a leading position in the international system, etc., and the ever familiar term for superhuman abilities – any abilities that a human does not possess in real life – akin to superheroes in movies and comic books.

However, another definition was “a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world.”  If you replace “state” with “quality,” the result may be an immeasurable number of Superpowers in each of us that have the ability to wield sweeping positive power that ripples out into the world.


I freely admit, and those of you who know me will agree, that one of my Superpowers is talking.  Yes, I realize that our Superpowers can also be our Achilles’ heel.  However, using the power for positive purposes is rather like staying on the side of the Force instead of going over to the dark side.  I have been told I can carry on a conversation with a brick wall and have a very satisfying discussion.  I will be using my ability to talk about anything to anybody through this blog on a regular basis.  So in 2011, I commit to using my gift of gab to inspire and motivate others.  And I invite you to share your thoughts and discoveries, hopefully as a result of my writings, with me via email.

What are your Superpowers?  Make a list of your talents, traits, qualities, things you love to do, that can positively affect those around you. Do not underestimate your power to influence your piece of the world.  Include what you might think are the simplest and most natural of your abilities.  Ask trusted friends and colleagues to share their Superpowers and what they believe are yours.  Clue into what others come to you for.  What do people say to and about you?  Your wit might bring levity; your attitude might motivate a team; your calmness might still a troubled friend or stranger; your oddness might allow someone else to feel more normal
and accepted.

Use your Superpowers generously in your work, play, relationships, and to support and foster your personal goals.  Notice and express gratitude for the Superpowers in others that positively influence you.  Self-congratulate when you make the most of your own Superpowers.

I wish you an Incredible New Year filled with Superpowers!
Robin Fernandez