Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Be Like the Trees – Always Share Your Gifts with the World

I was receiving a coaching session about my frustration that my motivation, attention, and output of my talents waxes and wanes – Sometimes from day-to-day, sometimes from moment-to-moment.  When I more immediately see the benefit to others or receive compensation from my work or talent, my desire to continue the output is much stronger and more sustainable.  I want to maintain my motivation and creativity whether or not I am receiving outside influences or acknowledgement at that particular moment, and to continuously enjoy the process of being my gifts.

The coach assisted me in tweaking a declaration and a new body stance of opening and outpouring my gifts to eagerly awaiting receivers.  The image of a tree frequently comes to my mind when I coach others, as it did this time.  I love the image of a tree because it has roots that go down into the ground and branches and leaves that reach toward the sky.  I relate this to our connection to our vision/sky, and maintaining grounding/roots to enable us to bring the vision into reality in the world.  A tree gives many gifts to us.  A tree provides shade, absorbs carbon dioxide, ozone, and other air pollutants, and gives off oxygen.  They save on energy costs and control storm water. A tree exemplifies beauty, and offers shelter and sustenance for animals and birds.  It provides fruit and nuts/nutrition to us.  And who can quantify the soul-enriching essence of trees?  Serenity, harmony, strength, longevity, inspiration.

I had a realization - Trees never withhold their gifts…A tree won’t say, hey, you are not appreciating me and noticing the lovely shade I am bringing you, so I’m going to fold up my branches and see how you like the sun beating down on you today!  Trees are giving all the time they exist.  
A tree won’t say, “that tree over there is so much bigger than I am, why should I even bother to try to grow?”  Trees do what they do regardless if someone admires or rewards or praises or admonishes them or not.  A couple years ago, while I was in Colorado for the summer, I returned to my Florida condo and found that all the lovely branches on the building side of the pine trees behind my condo had been cut off.  I was horrified, and couldn’t even go out on my lanai for the longest time in grief of the maiming that took place when I wasn’t there to protect them.  But you know, the trees kept on growing to the best of their ability.  They keep on doing what they do, being who they are, and giving the gifts they have to give.  They did not withhold anything even when they were hacked up.  When entire forests of trees are clear cut, or burned up due to a careless human, the surrounding trees won’t stop their growth, cycle of creativity, or stop being who they are.  A tree’s essence and outpouring of gifts remains the same as long as any part of it exists.  And even when it dies, it continues to gift nourishment throughout total decay.  Amazing…

So how can I embody this ability of trees to give no matter what?  To be and do and create, to outpour my gifts, no matter if or how they are received or rejected, ignored or praised, criticized or honored.  I am experimenting with keeping the image of a tree in view or in my mind’s eye as I work and create, think, and play. I posted a beautiful photo of trees with the affirmation – Trees continuously share their gifts – as my desktop image.   

Trees Always Share Their Gifts.  How can we be like the trees?  Sharing our gifts in whatever ways we are called to share them.  Do not fold up our branches and give up just because someone or everyone seems not to notice or appreciate who we are and what we do.  Be like the tree – continuously share your gifts with the world!

Robin Fernandez
Nature of Being